We will annually award up to 5 EDI bursaries (per bursary type) as part of the Institute of Medical Science’s commitment to equity, diversity, and inclusion (EDI) initiatives and to play a proactive role in creating an academic environment that is inclusive and diverse.
It is the pleasure of the University of Toronto to offer this scholarship grant to any student who wants to start a Masters or PhD degree at the University in 2022/23
The purpose of the initiative is to provide financial support to economically disadvantaged students from underrepresented groups, especially those from Black and Indigenous backgrounds.
IMS Selection Criteria:
Applicants must enter a graduate program in the IMS (research stream) during the 2022-23 academic year (must provide an offer letter).
- In a graduate program (research stream) at IMS
- Students enrolled in research-based MSc or PhD programs at home
- Currently hold a grade point average of A- in their graduate program. For eligibility, applicants must have completed one graded graduate course.
- A satisfactory progress report has been completed within 6-8 months of the deadline by a PAC meeting.
The award is restricted to:
It is not available to:
- Those entering their graduate programs under the category “Professional Earnings”
- Those enrolled in a postgraduate medical education program are clinician-scientists
- A student registered in an IMS Professional Program
Procedures for applying:
- Online application forms and required documents must be submitted
- Describe your purpose (maximum 250 words) in a Statement of Purpose. If possible, please provide specific examples:
- If you consider yourself to be economically disadvantaged (i.e. low family income, support needs), describe why
Do you have any other members of the family, recent relocations, etc.)?
All other requested documents should be compile and uploaded in a single PDF
This includes the Statement of Purpose, the Offer Letter, the Financial Need Assessment form, the Academic History, and the most recent PAC report (i.e.).
The completed application must be submitted by the deadline noted in the Award Overview.
Perks of the application:
Currently, the award value is up to $5,000, but it is subject to change without prior notice.